Botswana represents the essence of Africa’s wilderness. You can hardly find a single African country with all types of natural habitats such as salt pans, grass lands, wetlands, deserts including a unique inland delta, with such a rich diversity of wildlife. In Botswana you can find plenty of large areas dedicated to wildlife conservation - three national parks, seven game reserves and number of concession areas, many of them unique to Africa. The animal population of Botswana includes myriads of species, like elephants, lions, leopards, rhinos - both black and white, buffaloes (all together known as big five), zebras, antelopes, wildebeest, wild dog, hippo, giraffe, hyena, cheetah, baboon, sable, kudu, jackal, water buck, bat-eared fox, impala, meerkat and much more. You can find hundreds of bird species there, as well as diverse flora including the majestic baobabs.
Botswana is a beautiful wild coutry in the southern part of Africa. Capital of Botswana is Gaborone, the largest city with 230,000 inhabitants, which is about 10% of whole Botswana's population.
The country is predominantly flat, while more than 2/3 of its territory is Kalahari Desert. One of the largest inland deltas, the Okavango delta, lies in the northwest, and Makgadikgadi salt pan you can find on the north. There are also large grassland and savanna areas inhabited by various animals and birds.
From November to February, there is rain season in Botswana. For more about Botswana's weather, see safari calendar.
- Capital city: Gaborone
- Government: Multi party democracy
- National language: Setswana
- Official language: English
- Currency: Pula
- Independence day: 30th September 1965
- Head of state: his excellency Dr. Mokgwetsi Masisi
- Location: Botswana is a land locked country situated in southern Africa. It borders South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Namibia.
- Country size: Botswana covers an area of 581,730 square kilometers, about the size of France or Kenya.
- Population: 2 million, with an average annual growth rate of 2,4 percent.
- Main exports: Diamond, copper, nickel, beef, soda ash and tourism.
- Major crops: Maize, sorghum and millet.
- Urban centers: Francistown, Lobatse, Selebe, Phekwi.
|Languages spoken||English, Setswana|
|Currency used||Botswana pula (BWP)|
|Country name||Republic of Botswana|